Digesting heavy earth science topics for everyday audiences? That’s what I do. My articles have appeared in Vineyard & Winery Management, BioScience, Stormwater, and Erosion Control. A selection of my recent work:
Publications / Articles
- The Indomitable Dung Beetle Plays Key Role in Parasite Regulation, BioScience, June 2017. BioBrief (800 words) summarizing recent research findings and potential pasture management implications.
- Case studies in tube-based sediment control, Erosion Control, May 2017. Feature article (3000 words) presenting three projects using innovative tube style erosion control products.
- What’s Hot in Modeling Software, Stormwater, May 2017. Feature article (3700 words) reviewing selected modeling software advances and end-user experiences.
- Pure, Precise Polyethylene, Vineyard & Winery Management magazine, March/April 2017. Feature article (2260 words) presenting winemaker experiences in using polyethylene fermentation tanks — pros, cons, and considerations.
- Mobile Powdery Mildew App Unveiled Globally, Vineyard & Winery Management magazine, March/April 2017. News in Focus reviewing (530 words) on new vineyard monitoring and tracking technology.
- Sequencing Breakthrough Advances Genome Studies, Vineyard & Winery Management magazine, March/April 2017. News in Focus (640 words) presenting genome sequencing breakthrough and implications for winegrape industry.
- Don’t Waste It, Vineyard & Winery Management magazine, Jan/Feb 2017. Feature article (1700 words) reviewing winery wastewater treatment and reuse options — existing practices, new technologies and insider insights.
- Cutting It Down to Size, Vineyard & Winery Management magazine, Nov/Dec 2016. Feature article (2100 words) reviewing dormant pruning techniques and industry professionals’ advice.
- Barrels with Spirit, Vineyard & Winery Management magazine, Sept/Oct 2016. Feature article (1600 words) on increasing trend of aging wine in used spirit barrels.
- Status of Glassy-winged Sharpshooter and Pierce’s Disease, Vineyard & Winery Management magazine, July/Aug 2016. News In Focus summary (500 words) updating readers on GWS status and promising Pierce’s disease control.
- April Freeze Damage in Mid-Atlantic Region, Vineyard & Winery Management magazine, July/Aug 2016. News In Focus summary (500 words) of freeze event occuring in April 2016.
- Dream Machines, Vineyard & Winery Management magazine, May/June 2016. Feature article (1800 words) summarizing the selection, maintenance and handling of bottling lines.
- Beat This, Outside Bozeman online, August 11, 2016. Backpacking destination description and how-to of southwest Montana’s Beaten Path.
- When a grizzly kills a human. Draft article (1500 words) examining grizzly bear management in the Yellowstone Ecosystem.
- When a Grizzly Kills, Outside Bozeman, Summer 2016. Article discussing management decision around grizzly that killed Lance Crosby in Yellowstone.
- Rebounz blog hosted by Medium.com, ongoing since May 2016. Weekly posts generally involve mental health and machine learning topics.
- Home again at Homestead, Nebraska Life, July/Aug 2016. Article (500 words) celebrating the natural and cultural heritage of Homestead National Monument of America. [clip coming soon!]
- NPS 6.7 Million Volunteer Hours + sidebar, Blue Ridge Country, July/Aug 2016. Volunteer opportunities with list of contact information for NPS opportunities in the Blue Ridge region.
- Volunteering to make a difference, Boom!, June 2016. Article summarizing volunteer opportunities with State Parks and NPS sites in N.C.
- Marco Island, Florida. 500-word article describing fishing and tourism opportunities on the island.
- Northwoods Namekagon. FOB summary (250 words) of paddling opportunities on the Namekagon River (Wisconsin) including summary bullets and original photography.
Business & Non-Profit Clients
- Acolyte marketing brochure, SimplyRFID. Copyediting and layout brochure design including graphics suggestions to reflect corporate style and branding.
- Sensory Spectrum at N.C. Research Campus video script, Cre8tve Works. Draft script for creation of two-minute marketing video.
- DataChambers at N.C. Research Campus video script, Cre8tve Works. Draft script for creation of two-minute marketing video.
- MolePatrol.com. Website content (services descriptions) for ground mole extermination company.
- Bioactive Magazine, N.C. Research Campus via Cre8tve Works. Proofread and suggested edits to polish final draft for publication.
- Is your living environment affecting your mental health?, Rebounz. Blog post in Rebounz series; how urban versus urban dwelling, especially as a child, can affect your mental health.
- Are you addicted to social media?, Rebounz. Blog post in Rebounz series; discussion of link between addictive social media use and mental health impacts.
- Technology provides mental health solutions in today’s world, Rebounz. Blog post in Rebounz series; describes increase of mental health apps and their usefulness.
- A Guide to Coping with Grief, Rebounz. Ebook produced with content provided by another team member.
- A Guide to Surviving Heartbreak, Rebounz. Ebook produced with content written by another team member.
- Investigative journalism breakout session, D.C. Science Writers Association. Four experienced investigators shared tips of the trade with a packed room at DCSWA’s 2016 Professional Development Day.
- The A-Team Comes to Cities Alive, Green Roof Technology. Blog post announcing Jörg Breuning and associates participation at 2015 Cities Alive Trade Show.
- AirSatOne certifies RingCentral for Worldwide Communication, AirSatOne. Press release describing certification and features of RingCentral by AirSatOne.
- Potomac Appalachian Trail Club earns 2015 Land Steward of the Year, PATC. Announcement of PATC Land Steward designation by Land Trust of Virginia.
- Running for Women: A Beginner’s Training Guide to Maximize Weight Loss, Reduce Fatigue and Stay Motivated, a Life Simplified e-book available on Amazon.
Environmental Studies / Mitigation Banking
- Mitigation Bank Feasibility Assessment. Investigation into the implementation of a wetland and stream mitigation bank on a 500+/- acre site in western Virginia.
- Mitigation Bank Performance Standards. Outline of performance standards for a proposed mitigation bank site in the Puget Sound region.
- Mitigation Site Restoration and Management Plan. Proposed plan for restoration of a custom mitigation area in the Puget Sound region.
- Mitigation Credit Supply/Demand Analysis. Memo to client summarizing their market share in a mitigation credit sales region.
Green Infrastructure / Low Impact Design
- DC Water Technical Memorandum 3 excerpt. Summary proposal for implementation of Green Infrastructure across the District to reduce sizing of hardscape Combined Sewer Overflow controls. Prepared as consultant team member with primary role as copyeditor.
- DC Water Technical Memorandum 3: Appendix A excerpt. Appendix describing typical green infrastructure bioretention practices including functions, appearance, and maintenance.
- DC Water Green Roof Summary Memo. Two-page summary of design specifications for two pilot green roof projects at DC Water sites.
- DC Water Green Roof Component Calculations. Series of Excel worksheets to analyze cumulative components weights across proposed roof.
- DC Water Green Roof Specifications. Construction specifications governing the installation of two pilot green roof projects at DC Water sites.